Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Unwritten

I've come to realize I consistently prefer Vertigo and Image comics above other publishers. It's convenient; it adds a filter to the impossibly large library of content that I've begun to explore in the world of comics. It's kind of like Anthropologie--I already know I'm going to like most everything in there, so it takes the whole slog-through-all-the-shit-on-the-racks stuff and throws it out. Sure, it also means I spend way too much money there (which is a bit redundant considering it's Anthropologie) but it makes for a much more pleasant experience.

/end clothing metaphor

My friend E.B. has been somewhat of a comics mentor to both Alex and I, and given my love of the Harry Potter series, he suggested I try The Unwritten. It's funny, because what I love about The Unwritten so far has very little to do with the moments of delight when something familiar pops up in Mike Carey's story of Tom Taylor, namesake and inspiration for the Tommy Taylor book series that closely resembles HP. It's actually the commitment to and exploration of the world of stories. It's easily one of the most sophisticated comics I've ever read, and more closely resembles a thesis on story and religion than it does an entertainment property itself. Which of course is not to say that it doesn't entertain--it draws from so many schools of storytelling that the creation story of each comic would likely be as engrossing as the narrative of the issue itself. I've always been a sucker for the play within a play, and with as many layers of storytelling going on in The Unwritten as there are, I'm certain I'll continue to love it.

It also explores the intersection of fiction and real life, which is an interesting area in an age of scripted reality television and a kind of rebirth of supernatural fiction. But both of these comparisons would likely whisk me away into some boring diatribe that I'll save us all from by moving along.

Peter Gross' art is a step away from the style I'm usually drawn to (and yes, that pun was unintentional), but I'm finding it vibrant and exciting in ways that actually pull me away from the text to explore the panel first. So often, you see amazing cover art that feels a world away from the art inside the comic, which I've always found disappointing. So far, the art feels consistent but always evolves to match the style of storytelling taking place in that particular issue.

I'm nine issues in with much to go, but I've got to track down some of the older issues before I can move on. In the meantime, I've realized I ought to give Fable a try, given my penchant for stories about stories. The list is ever growing...

No comments:

Post a Comment